1. Log in to SD42 WebHelpDesk, click the ‘History’ tab and look for a ticket with the subject ‘Staff Laptop Refresh’.
2. Once found, click on this item and the ticket will open in a new pane to the right.
3. Scroll down in this pane to the ‘Laptop Request’ field. This field is already pre-populated for the device you currently have so you only need to register a preference change.
4. In the ‘Preferred Month’ field, select the month (July or August) when you would like to receive your new device (default is August). The preferred month is not a guarantee but just a best effort from the IT department to make the device available to you.
5. Click the ‘Agreement’ button underneath these fields to record that you have read and accept our ‘Data loss’ statement.
6. If you wish, you may also add comments into the ticket under the ‘Note Attachments’ field then click the ‘Save note’ button.
DO NOT RECORD YOUR PASSWORD IN THE TICKET.
Prepare Data for Transfer/Backup Personal Data
Backup your data to OneDrive. IT (Information Technology) does not assist with data transfers.
SD42’s IT Department accepts no responsibility for data loss.
Disk space on your new device is limited, please adhere to the following guidelines for data migration:
To upload your data to OneDrive, you have a few options:
Local Filesystem via OneDrive Sync Client:
The sync client keeps your local and OneDrive files in sync automatically. In most cases, this has already been configured by IT. If it has not, the process below will walk you through setting it up.
To set up the OneDrive sync client on your computer:
1. Launch the OneDrive app
2. Sign in with your SD42 account (email@example.com) and select which files and folders you want to sync.
3. Check the onedrive app icon in the system tray (PC) or menu bar (Mac), it will report sync errors and suggest how to fix them interactively. Your backup is not complete until the sync client reports ’Your files are synced’! Click on the sync icon to view this status message.
Web Browser (two methods to choose from):
For either browser method, sign in to your SD42 account by going to ‘https://schooldistrict42-my.sharepoint.com‘ and entering your district username (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
1. Drag and Drop:
a. Open the OneDrive window,
b. Navigate to the desired folder location.
c. Drag files or folders from your computer’s file explorer or Finder into the OneDrive window.
2. Upload button:
a. Click on the ‘Upload’ button in the OneDrive interface.
b. Select the files or folders you want to upload from your computer.
Regardless of method used (file sync or web upload) it is strongly recommended that you confirm all files are backed up by reviewing the contents of your OneDrive on the web.
Prepare your current device for exchange:
1. Remove all stickers
2. Perform a general cleaning of the device. How to Clean Your Laptop
3. Collect the power adapter and any adapter dongles that were distributed with it
Exchange your device:
IT will be hosting scheduled handoff sessions at the DEO. When your new device is ready, an email notification will be sent through the ticket advising you to book into one of these sessions. Plan to spend at least 30 minutes at this session.
During handoff, you will:
1. Exchange your old device and its adapters as issued for your new device
2. Log in for the first time to confirm successful transition including
a. Wireless connectivity
b. Data transfer via OneDrive sync
When attending one of these sessions you must hand over your old device and power adapter to receive your new one, no exceptions, so please come prepared.
Note that once your laptop is received you have 30 days to inform us of any missing data. While IT will not assist in recovering missing data we will make the old device available to you so that you can locate and transfer the data.
After that period, we will begin re-imaging recovered machines for other purposes.
Schedules for handoff sessions will be sent via the ticket and also be posted here once available.
By default, you will not have administrative privileges on your new device. This means that you will be limited as to what software you may install. Any software titles that you need for your work functions can be installed from the ‘Company Portal’ (PC) or ‘Self-Service’ (Mac). If a title you need is not available there, please create a ticket to request that software.