To apply to this program, visit apprenticeship.sd42.ca
Your application package must include the following:
- VCC application and waivers
- SD42 Partnership Application
- Cover letter (briefly stating why you are interested in this program)
- Recent transcript of your grades
Submit the complete package to your school’s career planning assistant, work experience teacher, or counselor.
This program covers theory and related information along with hands-on experience. Good hand/eye coordination and good physical condition are desirable.
The standard program consists of the following course content:
- Full 10-month VCC program
- Introduction to hairstyling women’s/men’s
- Hygiene, bacteriology and sanitation
- Client relations
- Communications and salon functions
- Hair cutting
- Hair styling
- Shampoos, conditioners and rinses
- Scalp and hair treatments
- Hair structure and chemistry
- Permanent waving
- Hair colouring
The minimum grade for individual courses is 64 per cent. An overall GPA of 70 per cent or better is required. All courses must be passed in order to successfully complete the program.
Students who successfully complete the program will have completed eight courses for 32 credits on the secondary school graduation transcript. They will also receive the VCC certificate and apprenticeship certification.