If you would like to request records from School District No. 42, and those records are not routinely available through a school district owned website, you can make a formal request for records.
All formal requests for records must be done in writing and provide sufficient detail to assist staff in locating/retrieving the records sought. You may use the Freedom of Information Request Form or you may submit your request in your own format with the required information listed below.
When submitting your request for records please:
- Try to provide sufficient and specific details of the records you seek. Broad, complex requests, or requests for “all records” take longer to process and increase the likelihood of longer timelines of delivery and larger fees being charged to you.
- Use specific dates of records you are requesting along with locations (if applicable)
All formal requests must be submitted in person, mailed, or emailed to:
Attention: FOI Coordinator
School District No. 42 (Maple Ridge – Pitt Meadows)
22225 Brown Avenue
Maple Ridge, BC
In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FIPPA”), the school district charges a $10 filing fee for each access request.
Section 75 of FIPPA permits the school district to charge additional fees for:
- Locating, retrieving and producing the record
- Preparing the record for disclosure
- Shipping and handling the record
- Providing a copy of the record
You will be notified of the additional costs associated with your request once these costs have been determined.
Under FIPPA, public bodies have 30 business days to respond to your request for records.
In certain circumstances, the public body may take a 30 business days time extension. Such circumstances include:
- where you have not given the public body enough detail to identify a requested record;
- there is a large number of records and meeting your request within the time limit would unreasonably interfere the operations of the public body;
- more time is needed by the public body to consult with a third party or another public body.
Section 71(1) of the Act states certain records must be available to the public without a request for access. Those records can be found here.
If you have further questions about the Freedom of Information (FOI) process, please contact the FOI Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.