Any child who turns 5 years old in 2017 (born in 2012) is eligible to register for the 2017-18 school year.
Learn more about our online Kindergarten registration process at www.sd42.ca/kindergarten-registration.
The district is charged with managing enrolment at all schools and ensuring that enrolment numbers align with capacity at each school. This management assists in providing optimum learning environments for all students across the district.
School District No.42 has an open boundary policy that allows flexibility in choice regarding which secondary school students may attend “where space and facility is determined to be available” (School Act section 74.1 Section 6).
Ideally we try to give every student his or her first choice of school. Should this not occur, families may access the transfer process. If you have any questions, please contact your elementary school or the high school. We wish everyone a successful transition from Grade 7 to Grade 8.
District Grade 8 registration procedures
- Registration for Grade 8 for the 2017/18 school year will be done on the parent portal. Registration will open on Wednesday, February 15, 2017, at 12 noon (**Please note: any students currently not attending a school in SD42 will not be able to register online and must complete a paper registration form at the District Education Office prior to March 1, 2017, to be included in placement decisions impacting staffing for September 2017). After Spring Break, they register at their catchment high school.
- The online registration form will automatically populate with your child’s secondary catchment school. This is determined by your address (not your elementary school). You can check the School District website http://www.sd42.ca for your catchment school. Please note that new development areas may not reflect accurate results of your catchment school. Please call and confirm with the school if necessary. Families will be able to request their first two choices of schools. Registration numbers are limited by capacity. Details regarding acceptance criteria are noted below.
- Out-of-catchment registrations may be restricted by the limits of the school facility size (as described above) and staffing. The district will accommodate in catchment registrations first and then attempt to accommodate sibling out of catchment registrations; however, sibling placement cannot be guaranteed. Please refer to the acceptance criteria below.
- All Grade 8 online registration must be completed by 11:59 pm on March 1, 2017.
- Date and time will be a factor after catchment and sibling students are placed.
- When a school is declared full if registration did not occur by March 1,2017, students may not get their catchment school.
- Parents will be notified after Spring Break as to where their child is assigned.
- Transfers between schools (i.e. families changing their minds) after the registration deadline require the transfer process, as staffing for schools is established based upon registrations as of this date. Transfer forms are available at the secondary schools. Building space and available staffing limit this process. For Grade 7s only, a review of transfer requests will be completed before the Grade 7 orientation dates in May.
Parents who did not complete an online registration form in the General Phase must complete a paper registration form at their catchment high school.
All high schools have provided up to date information on their websites should you wish to know more about programs being offered specific to the school.
Acceptance Criteria for prioritizing placement
Grade 8 to 12 registrations shall be prioritized on the following basis:
- in catchment area students who, in the previous year, attended the school;
- in catchment area students who, in the previous year, were ‘placed’ by the district in a different school;
- siblings of in catchment area students;
- new in catchment area students;
- siblings of out of catchment area students currently enrolled in the school (currently in Gr 8-11);
- out of catchment area students who request to attend the school which is other than their catchment area school;
- out of district students
The information system used to register all students does not accept students in more than one school. If students attempt to register in more than one school, the system will default back to their catchment school.
For registration at all other grade levels you will need to contact the assigned school for your neighbourhood (i.e. your catchment school).
To determine your catchment school, use our School Locator, enter your address and follow the instructions.
Our elementary schools are listed here.
Our secondary schools are listed here.
The schedule for 2017 grade 7 information nights is below:
January 31, 2017 @ 7pm – Pitt Meadows Secondary
February 1, 2017 @ 7pm – Maple Ridge Secondary
February 2, 2017 @ 7pm – Thomas Haney Secondary
February 7, 2017 @ 7pm – Garibaldi Secondary
February 8, 2017 @ 7pm – Samuel Robertson Secondary, Westview Secondary