To apply to this program, visit apprenticeship.sd42.ca
Your application package must include the following:
- Application form and waiver – KPU
- SD42 Partnership Application
- Cover letter (briefly stating why you are interested in this program)
- Recent transcript of your grades
Submit the complete package to your school’s career planning assistant, work experience teacher, or counselor.
Students will develop the necessary habits concerning safety and the proper use of time, tools, materials, and the work skills required to be a competent tradesperson in today’s workforce.
Students who successfully complete the Masonry (Bricklayer) foundation program will receive Level 1 in-school technical training credit and 375 work-based hours towards completion of the Masonry (Bricklayer) Apprenticeship program.
The program is five months (September through January), Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 3 pm, at Thomas Haney Secondary School.
The standard program consists of the following course content:
- Cutting bricks to size using hammers, chisels or power tools
- Laying the bricks in horizontal layers (courses)
- Measuring out the work area and laying the first courses according to the architect’s plans
- Mixing mortar, either by hand or with a mixing machine
- Spreading mortar evenly to fix the bricks into place
- Ensuring that the line of the wall is totally straight and level. For this a spirit level or plumb line may be used.
- Making access holes in the walls to allow electricians, plumbers and other workers to bring water, electricity and commodities into the building.
The minimum grade for individual courses is 64 per cent. An overall GPA of 70 per cent or better is required. All courses must be passed in order to successfully complete the program.
Students who successfully complete program will have completed five courses for 20 credits on their secondary school graduation transcript. They will also receive a Kwantlen University certificate and Level 1 apprenticeship.