To apply to this program, visit apprenticeship.sd42.ca
Your application package must include the following:
Submit the complete package to your school’s career planning assistant, work experience teacher, or counselor.
Students will develop the necessary habits concerning safety and the proper use of time, tools, materials, and the work skills required to be a competent tradesperson in today’s workforce.
Students who successfully complete the Masonry (Bricklayer) foundation program will receive Level 1 in-school technical training credit and 375 work-based hours towards completion of
the Masonry (Bricklayer) Apprenticeship program.
The program is 5 months (September through January), Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. This program is located at Thomas Haney Secondary School.
The standard program consists of the following course content:
- Cutting bricks to size using hammers, chisels or power tools
- Laying the bricks in horizontal layers (courses)
- Measuring out the work area and laying the first courses according to the architect’s plans
- Mixing mortar, either by hand or with a mixing machine
- Spreading mortar evenly to fix the bricks into place
- Ensuring that the line of the wall is totally straight and level. For this a spirit level or plumb line may be used.
- Making access holes in the walls to allow electricians, plumbers and other workers to bring water, electricity and commodities into the building.
The minimum grade for individual courses is 64 percent. An overall GPA of 70 percent or better is required. All courses must be passed in order to successfully complete the program.
Students who successfully complete program will have completed 5 courses for 20 credits on their secondary school graduation transcript. They will also receive a Kwantlen University certificate and apprenticeship level one.