This partnership between VCC and Maple Ridge – Pitt Meadows School District No. 42 provides a unique opportunity for secondary school students to complete Grade 12 graduation requirements while earning post-secondary credits and certification in the hairstyling field. Additionally, students will acquire job-ready skills to enter the job market or pursue other post-secondary education.
Adult students who have not graduated may be eligible to take this program at a reduced tuition rate as well.
To apply to this program, visit apprenticeship.sd42.ca
Your application package must include the following:
- VCC application and waivers
- SD42 Partnership Application
- Cover letter (briefly stating why you are interested in this program)
- Recent transcript of your grades
Submit the complete package to your school’s career planning assistant, work experience teacher, or counselor.
This program covers theory and related information along with hands-on experience. Good hand/eye coordination and good physical condition are desirable.
The standard program consists of the following course content:
- Full 10-month VCC program
- Introduction to hairstyling women’s/men’s
- Hygiene, bacteriology and sanitation
- Client relations
- Communications and salon functions
- Hair cutting
- Hair styling
- Shampoos, conditioners and rinses
- Scalp and hair treatments
- Hair structure and chemistry
- Permanent waving
- Hair colouring
The minimum grade for individual courses is 64 per cent. An overall GPA of 70 per cent or better is required. All courses must be passed in order to successfully complete the program.
Students who successfully complete the program will have completed eight courses for 32 credits on the secondary school graduation transcript. They will also receive the VCC certificate and apprenticeship certification.
Where can the program lead?
- To a career as a hairstylists
- Preparation for one of many other related careers
- To other VCC programs