To apply to this program, visit apprenticeship.sd42.ca
Your application package must include the following:
- VCC Culinary Application and Waivers
- SD 42 Partnership Application
- Your resume
- Cover letter (briefly stating why you are interested in this program)
- Recent transcript of your grades
Submit the complete package to your school’s career planning assistant, work experience teacher, or counselor.
This program covers such topics as preparing grills, roasts, sauces, seafood, soups and stocks. Students will also acquire skills in cooking and baking desserts and learn basic kitchen management including food costing.
Students who complete the program will receive a Certificate in Professional Cooking. The program will cover theory and related information along with hands-on cooking practice. This program is located at Samuel Robertson Technical Secondary.
The standard program consists of the following course content:
- Vegetable and Starch Cooking
- Meat and Poultry Cooking
- Seafood Preparation and Techniques
- Stocks, Sauces and Soups
- Meat, Poultry and Seafood Cutting
- Vegetable and Starches and Egg Cooking
- Baking and Desserts
The minimum grade for individual courses is 64 percent. An overall GPA of 70 percent or better is required. All courses must be passed in order to successfully complete the program.
Students who successfully complete the program will have completed 8 courses for 32 credits on the secondary school graduation transcript. They will also receive a Vancouver Community College certificate.